Sunday, October 4, 2009

Focus on Grammar Unit 1 Answers

UNIT 1 Present Progressive and Simple Present (pages 2-13)

Section: After You Read

1. Tomás

2. Claude

3. Nicole

4. Sheila

5-6. Answers will vary.

Section 1:

Note: Double underline = verbs that describe what is happening now. Single underline = verbs that describe what regularly happens.

JUNE 28: I’m sitting in a seat 30,000 feet above the earth en route to Argentina! I usually have dinner at this time, but right now I have an awful headache from all the excitement. My seatmate is eating my food. I guess it’s good. She looks happy.

JUNE 30: It’s 7:30 P.M. My host parents are still working. Carlos, my father, works at home. My little brother, Ricardo, is cute. He looks (and acts) a lot like Bobby. Right now, he’s looking over my shoulder and trying to read my journal.

JULY 4: The weather is cold here. I usually spend the first weekend of July at the beach. Today I’m walking around in a heavy sweater.

AUGUST 6: I usually feel great in the evening because we take long naps in the afternoon, but tonight I feel real1y tired.

AUGUST 25: I’m feeling very comfortable here now—but it’s almost time to go home! My host parents usually cook a light dinner, but tonight they’re cooking a special dinner for me. I miss them already.

Section 2:

2. attends class, is going on a field trip to the museum

3. eats lunch

4. is eating lunch

5. takes a nap, is working on the family web page

6. works in the cafeteria

7. isn’t doing homework, is calling home

8. isn’t playing tennis, is watching a video with Eva

9. is having dinner

10. has dinner

11. writes letters, is taking a walk with the family

12. isn’t taking a shower, is doing homework

Section 3:

Part A:

2. ‘m waiting

3. seem

4. ‘m working

5. ‘s talking

6. ‘s not looking

7. seems

8. doesn’t mean

Part B:

1. ‘s talking

2. ‘re taking

3. ‘re standing

4. Do you think

5. ‘re dating

6. don’t think

7. means

8. come

9. usually stand

Section 4:

Part A:

2. starts

3. has

4. walks

5. appear

Part B:

1. are...shaking

2. know

3. shake

4. meet

5. Do. . .shake

Section 5:

2. cause

3. Are. . . living

4. traveling

5. do. . . feel OR are.. . feeling

6. go

Section 6:

2. treat

3. annoy

4. ‘m living, don’t think

5. want

6. improve

7. ‘m making OR am making

8. don’t understand, feel OR ‘m feeling

Section 7:

It’s 12:30 and I’m sitting in the library right now. My classmates are eating lunch together, but I’m not hungry yet. At home, we never eat this early. Today our journal topic is culture shock. It’s a good topic for me right now because I’m pretty homesick. I miss my old routine.

At home we always eat a big meal at 2:00 in the afternoon. Then we rest. But here in Toronto I have a 3:00 conversation class. Every day I almost fall asleep in class, and my teacher asks me, “Are you bored?” Of course I’m not bored. I just need my afternoon nap! This class is always fun. This semester, we’re working on a project with video cameras. My team is filming groups of people from different cultures. We are analyzing “social distance.” That means how close to each other these people stand. According to my new watch, it’s 12:55, so I’m leaving now for my 1:00 class. Teachers here really don’t like tardiness!

Section 8:

Usually: 2, 3, 5

Now or these days: 1, 4, 6, 7

Sections 9-13:

Answers will vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment