Friday, October 30, 2009

Unit 27 Gerunds: Subjects and Objects (pages 316-323)

Section: After You Read

Grofumeur: 1, 3
Nuffsed: 4
Swissfriend: 1, 5
Cleanaire: 2

Section 1:

SWIMMING is a great exercise. It’s healthy, fun, and relaxing. Because swimming is a low- impact sport, people can enjoy participating in this activity without fear of injury to bones or muscles.

Jogging, a high-impact activity, can be harmful for some people. I know this from personal experience. Last year while I was jogging, I injured my right knee. I don’t go jogging anymore.

After a painful month of recovery, I stopped running and switched to water sports. I’m now considering joining the swimming team at my health club and competing in races. Staying fit should be fun!

Section 2:

2. Staying
3. smoking
4. Exercising
5. starting
6. Not eating
7. eating
8. increasing
9. Not going

Section 3:

2. enjoy running
3. quit smoking
4. go swimming
5. admitted (or admits) being
6. avoids eating
7. mind exercising
8. are considering taking


Section 4:

Day 1: I quit smoking. This was the first day of the rest of my life as a non-smoker. Getting through the day wasn’t too difficult. I quit drinking coffee today too, and I think that helped. I used to enjoy having a cigarette with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Day 3: Today was harder. I called Dinah and admitted wanting to smoke. She advised taking deep breaths and staying busy. That worked. I have to resist eating too much. Gaining five pounds isn’t a big deal, but I don’t want to gain more than that.

Day 5: I got through the workweek smoke free. My boss keeps telling me, “You can do it.” I really appreciate having her support. I miss smoking, but I don’t miss standing outside in the cold just to smoke. I also don’t mind not burning holes in my clothes!

Day 7: Dinah suggested going out to dinner, but I can’t risk being around smokers...Instead, we went shopping and I bought a shirt with the money I saved during my first week as a non-smoker.

Section 5:

OK to Do: 4, 6, 7
Not OK to Do: 1, 2, 3, 5

Sections 6-10:

Answers will vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment